When the first white settlers came to this area, they found the natives to be very cooperative in helping clear the land and with the subsequent crop chores. Indians of this region were members of the Nepessing tribe of the Chippewa. They were very friendly and did not violently object to the whites settling in their hunting grounds.
The first recorded settler of the area was Jesse Decker who arrived here in 1825 with his wife from upstate New York. They raised the first frame barn in 1830 with the help of the local Indians and the other settlers. The settlement was referred to as "Decker Settlement", and the town was called Canandaigua, after Canandaigua, N.Y., where the settlers originated.
In 1828, a power dam was built uniting several small lakes and forming the mile wide Lake Canandaigua. The area was promoted as a summer resort and eventually became a year round community. The community's name was changed in 1835 from Canandaigua to Orion with Jesse Decker becoming the township's first supervisor. It wasn't until 1929 that Orion was renamed Lake Orion.
In 1874, C.K. Carpenter purchased Park Island and constructed a reception and dance hall 100 feet long with a tower 80 feet high. Access to Park Island was by bridge or steamer.
The 1900s brought about the railroad and then the automobile, further promoting Orion as a summer resort. Park Island Amusement Park offered roller skating, dancing, picnic areas, a penny arcade, roller coaster, swimming, and power boat tours of the seventeen hundred acres of beautiful Lake Orion.
Located just north of Pontiac on M-24, Lake Orion is 25 miles north of Detroit. The Palace of Auburn Hills and the Chrysler Technical Center are conveniently located only minutes away.